As a carer, you are likely to find yourself with additional responsibilities for your own finances and for those of the family member or friend who you are caring for

Call our team for support and advice

Becoming a carer can feel overwhelming and you may feel that trying to continue in paid employment is just not practical with everything else that you have to do. However, many carers who stop paid work struggle financially.

Carers Network is here to help you find out what financial support is available so you can make the decisions that are right for you and your family.

We can also talk you through your rights at work.  

If you are an adult unpaid carer looking after someone over 18 who lives in the City of WestminsterThe Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea or The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, you can call the Information, Advice and Guidance telephone helpline.

Helpline hours: Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm: 020 8960 3033 or email

If you are busy during office hours, our team is happy to schedule a time outside these hours that will suit you. 

We can talk you through the full range of benefits, grants and other support. Our team will advise you on whether you are able to apply for benefits including Carer’s Allowance, universal credit and disability benefits. And they will help you with these applications.

Citizens Advice Bureau appointments

If you live in the City of Westminster, we can book an appointment with advisors at the Citizens Advice Westminster. If you live in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea or London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, we can refer you to Citizens Advice Kensington and Chelsea or Citizens Advice Hammersmith and Fulham.

Council tax

In certain circumstances, you may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax. There are two different schemes and the rules are complicated so we would recommend contacting us to find out more about the eligibility criteria and how to apply.  Call us on 020 8960 3033 or email 

Other support

We can also help you with other services such as wheelchair services, applying for a taxi card, using foodbanks and other local support. And we apply to trusts for small grants to enable carers to have a holiday or obtain specialist equipment.

There are also several different schemes to enable disabled people and their carers to receive complimentary tickets when going to the cinema or theatre