Finding out more about long-term conditions

You may need to know more about a long-term condition such as dementia, multiple sclerosis, or something life-changing such as a stroke or brain injury. We have put together a list of some organisations that might be able to offer you help and advice.

If you are concerned about your health or the health of the person you care for, contact your GP. This list is not a substitute for an expert medical professional's opinion.

Call our team

If you would like to have a chat with someone, our Information, Advice and Guidance telephone helpline is available. Call us Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm on 020 8960 3033. Or email  

They may be able to tell you about any specialist training and support groups offered by Carers Network. Or they may help you schedule in a carer's assessment with a member of the Carers Network team.

Online resources

The NHS website is a good go-to resource. You can search it for many conditions and practical advice, e.g. about exercise.

Carers Trust advises on caring for someone with a condition such as dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, learning difficulty, alcohol or substance misuse, or mental health problems.

If you are caring for someone living with Autism there are several specialist autism charities including the National Autistic Society  and Autism Speaks.  

Brain injuryHeadway is the national charity for people who have experienced a severe brain injury and their families.

If you are caring for someone living with cancer there are two major national charities, Cancer Research UK and Macmillan Cancer Support which may be able to help you.

For carers looking after someone living with dementia there is a new national charity Dementia Carers Count supporting families affected by all forms of dementia.

Alzheimer’s disease is the most common cause of dementia. The Alzheimer’s Society can advise you.

If the person you care for lives with a diagnoses of diabetes Diabetes UK can provide useful advice.

It might be the person you care for is experiencing hearing loss. The Royal National Institute for Deaf People supports people who are deaf, experiencing hearing loss, and tinnitus.

If the person you care for has heart disease, then the British Heart Foundation can provide useful advice. 

For support with chronic kidney disease, visit the Kidney Care UK and the National Kidney Federation.

These organisations can advise on different learning difficulties:

And for those with a learning disability, you can get advice from:

If the cared-for person has Special Educational Needs (SEN) you can find information here: SEN resources Mencap

If you require advice on mental health, you can contact Mind or local Mind charities in:

Rethink Mental Illness supports people with severe mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, OCD and bipolar disorder.

For advice on Multiple Sclerosis (MS), please contact the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

If you need information on Parkinson’s Disease, Parkinson’s UK supports people diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease and their carers. 

For information about physical disabilities, Scope is the national charity for people living with physical disability.

If the person you care for has respiratory conditions, please contact the British Lung Foundation which supports people with respiratory conditions.

For information on sight loss, contact the Royal National Institute for Blind People which supports blind and partially sighted people.

If the person you care for has experienced a stroke, the Stroke Association supports both stroke survivors and their carers, and there is also a charity for younger stroke survivors called Different Strokes.

You may be concerned about drug or alcohol misuse. Turning Point Health & Wellbeing can help, as can The Alcohol Service.